This beautiful terrace was built in 1825 as four prestigious townhouses. By 1978, in the ownership of the district council, the terrace was converted into 10 flats for social housing. By 2010, and in poor internal condition, the building was sold, requiring full internal refurbishment. Applications for listed building consent and planning permission were sought by the developer, but the planning authority required an assessment of significance by a suitably qualified expert before any meaningful discussions commenced.
An assessment of significance was produced to informed design proposals. This included restoring the original plan form of the building, reinstatement of missing architectural features including fireplaces (none of the original fireplaces survived the 1978 conversion), cornices and architectural joinery details. Consents were granted to return the terrace to four prestigious townhouses with all modern facilities and a new garage block and courtyard gardens behind. Specialist repairs to extant historic features were also required. Our practice also discharged all conditions on the planning consents, sourced appropriate architectural features and local specialists to undertake the work and advised on appropriate repairs.