Mansion House

LOUTH

Client:

Listed:

Andrew Leonard

Grade II*

The Mansion House was originally built as a Georgian Assembly Room. In 1853 the building became the Mechanics Institute and eventually in the 20th century, the public library. The Mansion House had been mothballed for almost 30 years and was in urgent need of repair and an appropriate new use.

Services Provided

An assessment of significance was produced to inform design proposals for alterations and change of use to a restaurant with a small manager’s flat above. Andrew had a very successful restaurant in the adjacent building (unlisted) where he had installed a catering kitchen. There was no link between the two buildings, but this was a crucial element for the proposed new use.  Design advice was provided to ensure planning consents were granted. Approved alterations consisted of installing two beautifully detailed secret doors,  so a Georgian solution for a Georgian building, along  with a small link structure to access the kitchens. Specifications for like for like work were produced and agreed with the local authority so roof, lime plaster ceilings and decorative plaster cornices could be repaired whilst consents were being obtained. Our practice also discharged all planning conditions including sourcing bricks and sample panels. In association with GF Design Services.

Short listed for a Georgian Group architectural award 2019.

© 2019 Liz Mayle Heritage. All rights reserved.